Friday, January 4, 2008

On Names

Sometimes (mosttimes) Art names itself.

Elise's pieces have fantastical names that often superficially don't relate to the visual aspect at all. And they're great names.

Looking at her work taught me that things, even jewelry, should have names. If you ask, they'll often tell you.

Some names I struggle with- "As lightning sundered the heavens" is still not quite the right name, but it's where that particular piece is right now. I'm not skilled enough to find anything better- yet.

Sonata on a starry night, however, is that necklace's name. I knew exactly what it was going to look like when I was finished before I pulled out the work boxes. To some extent, that's because it has been wanting to be made for about a week but I've been concentrating on other things after the holidays and making commission pieces rather than items that don't have an immediate buyer or recipient. The name, in part, came before I started it- though it's been refined through a couple of stages. "Of Samhain Eve under Hunter's Moon" has been sitting on my rack for weeks, nameless, until I went to post it this evening and finally asked what it's name was.

I seem to be getting better at hearing these names, and what the pieces wish to be. For all the semetry that I end up with, I rarely know what I'm going to do and I just start stringing or making links or playing with chain. Art is spontaneous work, and I'm really happy to be doing it.

No comments: